Email marketing is a powerful tool that can bring you quality leads and help close deals. But to make it work, you need to create an effective strategy, take advantage of automation tools, and prepare a well-curated email list.
There are over 4 billion email users worldwide, and the number will only grow. So, you may wonder how to build an email list from scratch for your unique business needs and effectively reach your target audience.
Fortunately, you don’t have to navigate this alone—we’ve put together a helpful set of tips and tricks to help you get more potential customers and reach the full potential of your email marketing campaigns.
Let’s start with the basics.
What is an email list?
An email list is a collection of email addresses gathered by companies from clients who want to receive newsletters, exclusive content, discounts, and other promotional material.
With the help of a high-quality email list, you can reach out to people who are interested in your products or services, spark their interest, and keep them updated about upcoming releases.
Why should you build an email list?
The magic of mailing lists lies in the numbers. Here’s the scoop—email marketing has an astonishing average return on investment (ROI) for businesses in the US: 4400%. Impressive, isn’t it?
Check out the statistics:
And this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Connect to a larger audience
Email marketing is a cost-effective way to connect with your leads. While paid search and social media ads can also bring profit, they demand considerable financial resources and sometimes don’t pay off.
In contrast, email campaigns allow you to deliver your message to a broad audience at a much lower cost. And if you think that email outreach is an archaic tool, keep in mind that 34% of Americans and 99% of people around the globe check their inboxes throughout the day. It would be a pity to miss such a great opportunity, right?
Make convos more personal
Sending customized emails is an effective way to connect to your potential clients and generate more leads.
Check out one of the Snov.io’s emails below.
Crafting compelling emails requires research on your qualified leads’ background; however, it’s totally worth it! Plus, thanks to the power of AI, you can write engaging copy in a matter of seconds.
Leverage specialized solutions such as the AI Email Writer brought to you by Snov.io. With this powerful tool, you can effortlessly create targeted emails and generate leads. It’s like having a team of professional copywriters on call 24/7!
Generate more leads
Imagine this: all your website visitors are potential customers waiting to be discovered. Why not make the most of this opportunity by collecting their information and establishing a connection? They’ve landed on your site because they’re likely interested in your content, making them ideal candidates for conversion and more sales.
When visitors willingly join your email lists, it’s a clear sign of genuine interest in what you bring to the table. Take advantage of this by employing tools like a sign up form or a landing page to gather their email addresses effortlessly. It’s a simple yet powerful strategy to build meaningful connections and grow your network.
Excited to build an email list of your own? Fantastic! Let’s take a look at platforms that will help you reach your goals.
Top tools to build email lists
There’s no need to spend hours upon hours a day to find relevant contacts. Thanks to the automation tools, you can gather email addresses quickly and efficiently.
We prepared a list of the best solutions for lead generation. Choose the one that fits your needs the most, and create your first email list today.
Snov.io is a sales engagement and automation platform offering various tools to simplify lead generation and email outreach. It’s the all-in-one solution you need to effortlessly create verified email lists from different online sources, including LinkedIn.
Whether you’re looking to scale your business or fine-tune your outreach game, Snov.io is the ultimate go-to. Moreover, its user-friendly CRM seamlessly integrates with over 5,000 apps for better sales automation and productivity.
With Snov.io, building an email list is a piece of cake! Try out the tools listed below to get the maximum results.
This feature was tailored for adept sales and marketing professionals to facilitate lead generation.
- Email Search: Uncover your prospect’s email effortlessly using just their name or company!
- Bulk Email Finder: Explore multiple email addresses linked to matching contact details, including your prospects’ names and associated companies.
- Email Lookup by Domain: Pinpoint emails associated with domains relevant to your search.
- Bulk Domain Search: Harvest email addresses from a diverse array of domains.
- Company Profile Search: Conduct company email searches based on parameters like name, location, industry, size, and more!
- Social URL Search: Discover free email addresses by scanning social media profiles.
🔥🔥🔥New arrival: Database Search! Easily filter companies using a ready-to-use database provided by Snov.io. Sort the search results by name, industry, size, and more.
Here’s an illustration of the Email Finder in action, where we pulled email addresses on Tesla’s corporate website.
After creating a prospect list, the next step is to ensure the email addresses are valid. You don’t want to waste your time and effort on inactive accounts. This is where our next solution comes into play.
This tool plays a crucial role in maintaining the health of your email list. It diligently checks and confirms the validity of email addresses, ensuring the accuracy of your list and minimizing the likelihood of emails bouncing.
🤩Extra perk! Email Verifier seamlessly integrates with Email Finder, allowing you to effortlessly discern valid addresses (green dot), questionable ones (yellow dot), invalid (red dot), and non-existent ones (black dot) when downloading new email lists. Say goodbye to time wasted on unproductive contacts!
Savor the benefits of Email Finder and Email Verifier on a Trial plan or upgrade to get even more credits.
It is a well-known fact that LinkedIn is a powerful platform for lead generation. With 65 million decision-makers on board, this social media offers amazing opportunities for networking and business growth.
With Li Prospect Finder, you can create a prospect list from LinkedIn in a matter of seconds. This user-friendly Chrome extension effortlessly extracts email addresses from company pages, search results or personal profiles.
Say you’re on a quest to discover the email addresses of account managers from England specializing in advertising. After you install the extension, go to LinkedIn and type “account manager” in the search bar. Press Enter. Then, apply the needed filters (in this case, it’s People and Location). Click on the Li Prospect Finder icon in the extensions bar.
Now, all you need to do is click Save to transfer prospects to either a new or existing list.
And there you have it—a brand new prospect list right in your CRM.
Snov.io also facilitates the seamless import and export of email lists in CSV format and integrates with over 5,000 apps, simplifying data management and speeding up workflows.
UpLead is the B2B prospecting platform that helps you find relevant contact information and create email lists. This solution offers +50 search filters, email verification, and data enrichment tools.
Here are other features that you might find helpful:
- Prospecting tools: The platform facilitates prospecting and lead generation, enabling users to create targeted customer lists based on ideal customer profiles (ICP).
- Integration: UpLead syncs with popular CRMs, enabling seamless data import and export. The platform also has an API allowing you to integrate its features and functionality into applications or systems of your choice.
- Contacts enrichment: You can append 50+ data points, such as phone numbers, social media links and more, to your prospect lists. This will help you to learn more about your potential customers and personalize your email campaigns.
Cognism is a B2B sales and marketing platform designed to help businesses find and connect with potential customers. It provides a range of tools, including lead generation, contact data enrichment (including emails and phone numbers), and a centralized platform to manage and nurture leads efficiently.
Explore the key functionalities of Cognism that can assist you in the process of building your email list:
- Lead generation: This platform allows you to identify potential customers by analyzing diverse data sources and offering insights aligned with user-defined criteria.
- Targeted search and filtering: You can narrow down searches by specifying criteria like industry, company size, location, and more.
- Contact data enrichment: Add users email addresses and phone numbers for a more complete and accurate lead profile. Plus, you can segment your email lists by demographics or behavior, facilitating a more targeted and personalized email campaign.
- Email verification: With this tool, you can easily sort out contacts who have verified email addresses.
- Lead scoring: Prioritize prospects based on conversion likelihood, focusing on high-potential leads for email list building.
- Workflow automation: Cognism’s automation solutions streamline the lead generation process, allowing automatic updates and triggered follow-up actions based on set criteria.
⭐Reviews: 4.4 out of 5 on G2
💰Pricing: Freemium Plan available!
Hunter.io is an email outreach solution that provides solutions for connecting with potential customers.
Explore Hunter.io’s tools for building email lists:
- Email Finder: Hunter.io empowers users to get up-to-date email addresses linked to a particular domain or company, facilitating efficient outreach through accurate contact information.
- Domain Search: Find email addresses within a particular company.
- Email Verifier: Ensure email authenticity and maintain a clean list to improve deliverability and reduce bounce rates.
- Hunter API: Incorporate Hunter.io’s features into your applications for better workflows and data management.
- Data import: Import email lists to Hunter’s CRM and enrich them with additional information like phone numbers and company names. You can also export the enriched results in CSV format for further use.
Whether you are a pro at building high-quality email lists or just embarking on this journey, it would be a good idea to hit the pause button and take some time to create a strategy that will work for your specific needs and goals.
We have prepared a list of dos and don’ts to help you find your footing. Think of it as the compass, steering you towards crafting top-notch email lists to help you find more leads and boost business growth.
The dos of building an email list
#1. Choose a trustworthy email service provider (ESP)
Pick an ESP that feels like a perfect fit—the one that will help you build an email list that really works!
No matter what features your email service providers bring to the table, ensure they allow you to:
- Effortlessly design and personalize a range of signup forms and templates.
- Track the performance of each email by analyzing metrics like clicks, signup rates, and other key indicators.
- Organize your email subscribers into segments using various metrics and behaviors.
- Deliver distinct automated marketing messages tailored to specific audiences.
- Seamlessly integrate them with other email marketing software to streamline list-building across multiple channels.
In search of an email marketing tool that aligns with both your business needs and budget? Read our post on 30 Email Marketing Automation Tools For 2024 and pick one that works best for you!
#2. Implement opt-in consent
In email marketing, the opt-in approach allows you to target your sales toward people who are genuinely interested in your products and services. This is a form of inbound email marketing where you give your prospects a choice whether they want to receive your emails or not. If a potential client opts in, this means they would like to learn more about your company and potentially make a purchase.
Adding the opt-in button in your copy helps you build an email list of new subscribers who most likely will engage with your campaigns, reducing the risk of spam complaints and improving your deliverability rate.
#3. Create striking popup forms
Popup forms are effective tools for building strong email lists that will come in handy for sending marketing offers, promo campaigns, or new feature announcements. By adding an engaging popup on your website, you will be able to collect email addresses from people who are actually willing to share them.
For example, you can add a popup encouraging website visitors to subscribe to your newsletter to never miss out on important updates:
Pop-up forms are dynamic in nature, and they are a great way to deliver lead magnets for successful prospecting. You can set them to appear at certain times or for specific events to complement your marketing efforts.
#4. Offer real value
Let your prospective and current customers know about all the awesome goodies coming their way! We’re talking exclusive discount codes, access to advanced features of your product, or free gift offers that they won’t say ‘no’ to.
Providing a clear perk motivates your leads to willingly share their email addresses and even phone numbers, increasing the likelihood of a positive engagement.
26 January 2024
#5. Optimize for mobile
Your sign up forms, pop ups, and emails should always be mobile-friendly. Make things easy for your website visitors, whether they use a smartphone, tablet, or any other device.
Mobile-friendly content ensures that your potential customers will have a positive experience and, as a result, will be more inclined to engage with your emails, share their contacts, and maybe even accept your offer.
#6. Deliver enticing content
Build brand awareness and keep the good vibes flowing by consistently delivering top-notch copy—anything from a relevant blog post to an educational presentation should regularly land in the inboxes of your subscribers.
Stick to a strict schedule so they always have something exciting to look forward to. Consistency builds trust, and interactive engagement keeps your prospects and customers interested. It’s a win-win situation.
#7. Leverage referrals
Referral programs are a good incentive for subscribers to spread the word about your offers to their friends, family, and colleagues, boosting your email list. When the perks are appealing, why not extend the goodness to more people you care about? It’s an email marketing strategy that absolutely pays off!
Attract new participants to your referral program with enticing perks like complimentary shipping, a $10 coupon, a 30% discount, or a delightful free gift. These irresistible incentives can do wonders, expanding your email lists and welcoming potential new customers to join.
#8. Use a chatbot
Chatbots are helpful tools that facilitate communication with your customers and offer 24/7 support service. In addition, you can use them to advertise your promo campaigns, sales, etc.
For example, you can offer exclusive content and deals to customers who sign up for your email list via your website.
#9. Join forces with other businesses
Teamwork in marketing isn’t just about spreading the word; it’s your secret sauce for boosting brand recognition and solidifying your business as a trusted authority.
Forge alliances with brands that complement yours in the industry. This opens the door to their audience, unlocking opportunities to connect with new leads who might fall in love with what you offer.
🌟Food for Thought. Let’s say you own a sports equipment business and want to collaborate with other companies to build your email list. Here’s an example:
1. Cross-promotion giveaway:
2. Co-hosted webinars & workshops:
3. Guest blogging:
#10. Source email addresses offline
Consider using “old-timey” methods like attending networking events, contacting acquaintances for referrals, or cold-calling to gather contacts. These strategies may seem outdated, but they can still help you expand your email lists. So, it might be worth considering these traditional methods alongside newer digital strategies like social media and email marketing.
Here’s what you can do:
- Network smart. Exchange business cards with people you meet. Add received contacts to your database.
- In-person = email potential: If you’re rocking offline sales, ask your customers to share their emails with you.
- Community vibes: Organize meetings for people from your industry or for those who might be interested in your product. Prepare a registration form with an email address column.
As you can see, there are a number of ways you can expand your database and get more prospects. But you should also keep in mind that not all strategies are that helpful. SOme of them can stall your progress or even harm your reputation.
Let’s take a look.
The don’ts of building an email list
#1. Purchased email lists
Say no to buying contact lists. The allure of affordable and readily available databases is understandable for busy business owners juggling multiple responsibilities. However, when it comes to email marketing, there’s no quick fix or magic solution. Here’s why:
- Copycat alert. Purchasing email lists often means that somebody else has already got it too, and even more companies may get it in the future.
- It’s a pitfall. These fake emails are strategically placed to lure in unsuspecting senders. Major service providers will mark you a spammer, and restoring your email reputation is no walk in the park. As a savvy business owner, steer clear of “sticky” situations.
- Low duality contacts. These people have no idea who you are and what your business is. They didn’t agree to receive email campaigns from you, so chances are high that they will mark your messages as spam and harm your sender reputation. Not good.
#2. Hidden opt-ins and pre-checked boxes
Avoid concealing opt-in checkboxes or sneakily pre-checking them without getting a clear nod of agreement from your prospects. Make sure your audience willingly agrees to receive updates from you before you start targeting your campaigns toward them.
#3. Neglecting privacy and compliance with guidelines
Ignore data protection laws and privacy regulations, and you’re sailing into risky waters. Falling out of line with regulations can lead to serious legal repercussions and a tarnished brand image. It’s crucial to align your practices with:
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): If you don’t have any record of your audience agreeing to receive your messages, you could be hit with some pretty hefty fees.
- Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing Act (CAN-SPAM Act): This law sets rules for commercial messages and requires email senders to include opt-out options in their messages.
Sending too many emails can lead to subscriber fatigue and higher unsubscribe rates. Find the right balance to keep your audience engaged without overwhelming them. Remember, quality over quantity ensures that each interaction holds value and fosters a lasting and positive relationship with your audience.
#5. Ignoring analytics and feedback
Keeping an eye on your analytics is vital in getting your email game on point. And don’t forget, feedback from your subscribers is valuable, too! If you ignore these things, you could be holding your email list back from reaching its full potential.
Now that you have all the necessary tools and information, you are ready to create the most effective email list you have ever had. With the right approach and consistent effort, you can build a loyal and engaged audience and achieve your marketing goals!